Medicaid EligibilityHelping Those Who Cannot Help Themselves

The court may appoint a guardian when an adult becomes incapable of making responsible decisions due to a mental disability and has no Power of Attorney naming someone to act on his or her behalf.

The guardian acts as a substitute decision maker for that person, who is also known as a ward. The guardian can make legal, financial, and healthcare decisions for the ward.

Guardianships in NJ

New Jersey Medicaid AttorneyBob Shanahan, NJ elder law attorney, has the experience to counsel you on your guardianship issues. He is on the board of directors of Volunteer Guardianship One on One, an organization that arranges guardianships for people who have no one to turn to for help. He also serves as a guardian for two incapacitated people.

Let Bob Shanahan’s experience in Hunterdon County guardianship laws work for you.  Law Offices of Robert J. Shanahan, Jr., LLC, NJ elder law firm assists you with all your NJ guardianship law issues.

Guardianships usually are required when a person is incapacitated and needs a court-appointed guardian. A person cannot be declared incompetent merely because he or she makes irresponsible decisions. Also, a developmental disability or mental illness by itself is not enough to declare a person incompetent.

According to NJ guardianship law, an incapacitated person is someone “who is impaired by reason of mental illness or mental deficiency to the extent that he lacks sufficient capacity to govern himself and manage his affairs.”
To receive the ElderLaw Answers e-Newsletter, sign-up below.